Boston

Boston

Tuesday, June 28, 2016

I Am A Digital Immigrant

As defined by numerous definitions on the internet, I am a classic "digital immigrant" while my children would be considered "digital natives".  Although I am well versed in many programs, softwares and applications, I find it difficult to keep up with the speed of technology and its advances.  My children, ages 5 and 9, are far quicker and more efficient than I at adapting to the fast paced changes in the digital world; they are more likely than I to be considered a "digital native."

I am interested in following how the digital world will change children's use of technology.  As a mother myself, I am always concerned with keeping my children safe while not stifling their create nature or curiosity and using technology to help them understand their findings.  Similar concerns were voiced in a YouTube video that I viewed regarding children's safety in the digital age.  As a result, I looked for a video that provide parents with simple step ideas to manage their children's use of technology safely.



Some of these techniques are common sense which seems to go out the window when dealing with teenage children and the digital world, social media to be specific.  A more savvy approach may be needed when dealing with teens and internet safety as a new set of concerns arise dressed in sheep's clothing but known as "friends".

I also find it fascinating to see the difference in how children's brains appear to be mapped or wired somewhat differently than mine and those of folks who would be considered non-digital natives.


No comments:

Post a Comment